Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 09:48:41 +0400 (EDT)
I've been looking into controlled impedance at various times over the
past several months.  John, could your customer have designs calling for
differential impedance measurements?

Sources of information on controlled impedance, that I have used include
Hewlett Packard Application Notes 62, 62-2, and 62-3.  They deal with TDR
applications.  A helpful engineer at HP in Loveland, CO, had them sent to
me.  Alson Wong is his name;  phone is 800-452-4844.

The TechNet had references to test equipment made by Polar INstruments.
Polar equipment seems oriented to production testing of controlled
impedance panels, but it less expensive than TDR and may be easier to
use.  Polar's US number is 800-328-0817.

Just yesterday I tried to order IPC-2141, the title of which is,
approximately, "Design Guidelines for Controlled IMpedance".  It was just
published, so I presume few people have studied it.  I expect it will be
helpful.  Cost to IPC members is 25$.

Finally, on another subject, for anyone who has read this far, my thanks
to all who responded to my question about ink on surface mount pads.

Lou Hart

.