LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Edward Szpruch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:16:16 +0200
Gordon,
I really believe,that a lot of "green issues" is generated by coalition of
politics and research people looking after grant .Your story about
mini-disc-player demonstrate situation,where not really environmental issue
was the point of decision,but just simply sale promotion or personal
promotion. I do believe,that this is one of those self-propellated issues
supplying field for evironmental meaningless activities.
I am living in Israel,where recently serious restrictions on cigarette
smokers were imposed recently derivated from Clean Air Act.So minister of
health got his headlines in newspapers, activists got their attention on TV
etc talking about cigarettes smoge damage of active and passive smokers,
people were encourged to hunt smokers - a lot of action.
No one is even making attempt to deal with the electric company - this is
state owned monopoly and they are using fuels with relativly high content of
sulphur.Electric company stated - we are ready to upgrade the fuel,but the
price of electricity will rise.At this point all politics dissappeared since
the ballance is very clear - politics know for sure,that public opinion will
notify higher electricity prices and this will hit the popularity of the
politics.
I might say the same about cargo cars and autobuses with diesel motors -
authorities have no enough power to implement diesel motors regulations and
to deal with lorry drivers and owners is rather danger ( I presume a lot of
europeans still remember last year nighmares when lorry drivers blocade the
whole continent) . But to impose anti-smokers regulations - this is
simple,cost nothing and gain a lot of popularity.
No one really knows what is environmental impact of lead-free electronics,
but since all electronic industry is very easy to controll it and regulate
it. Another absurdic example I can give is heath damage caused by  salt (
natrium chloride).This issue is well documented.I can just smile thinking
about powerfull coalition imposing restriction on use of salt on world
population..Just imagine "Salt Police" interigating people on streets and
running blood test to catch law broker.
Edward

Edward Szpruch
Eltek , Manager of Process Engineering
P.O.Box 159 ; 49101 Petah Tikva Israel
Tel  ++972 3 9395050 , Fax  ++972 3 9309581
e-mail   [log in to unmask]