LEADFREE Archives

July 2002

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:16:40 -0700
Even though I did quite poorly in my university economics classes, I think I
know what "economics" is, but I am not sure what "sustainability" is. It seems
to be one of those terms that means different things to different people.

Is "sustainability" attained when we waste resources, time and effort, all of
which are measured in dollars, yen, euros and pounds, pursuing goals that do
not provide an equivalent return in terms of resources saved or created, or
time or energy saved?

I have a problem with the statement "After a few years, it almost inevitably
makes sound economic sense and we wonder why we were so stupid so as not to do
it previously."

First, it is hardly "inevitable" that the naysayers are proven wrong, in fact,
history tells us that, in the environmental arena, the naysayers more often
than not were right. Of course, one can not productively argue this issue,
because the standard of measurement is not universally agreed upon. Some people
are willing to sacrifice human lives and well being for the sake of the
"environment" while others are not. [BTW, I am not taking sides on this debate,
I am just pointing it out.] The automobile is a good example. It was believed
that better gas mileage was good for the environment, and therefore a desirable
goal. Given the technology available, the only way to increase mileage is to
make cars smaller and lighter, using more plastic and less steel. So everyone
now cheers because certain cars can get 28+ miles per gallon. What is ignored
altogether is that smaller and lighter cars are less safe cars and more people
die in car wrecks as a result. One doesn't need a physicist to convince us that
that is true. Are you safer roaring down the autobahn on a motorcycle or a big
American SUV, when you hit that tree? When you get sideswiped by that delivery
truck, is your family safer in a Renault Clio or a Dodge Ram pickup truck?
We can point to statistics that show that lives are lost solely as a result of
driving smaller cars, but I don't think anyone will say (at least not publicly)
that we should go back to the big, old cars. Apparently, we are willing to have
some people die so that we can have a cleaner environment because that is good
for people.

Second, it is very hard and sometimes discouraged, to measure the environmental
and human benefit "lost" from the action not taken or the project abandoned.
For example, let's say that someone wants to introduce a new pesticide.
Environmentalists say we should not use it because it is a nasty chemical. So
the pesticide is never used. No one ever goes back to calculate the number of
human lives that could have been saved or the amount of hunger that could have
been avoided if the pesticide had been used. After all, a million people died
of sarvation last year, a million died this year and a million will die next
year, so what is different? We can't measure what we don't know, and we don't
know the consequences of what we don't do. We accept what happens as the norm,
we accept the new status quo as being the "right condition".  We know that
banning DDT was the "right" thing to do and so we don't bother to count the
increase in the cases of malaria and the resulting deaths.

The example of CFC-113 may be valid, but it may well be the exception. It may
also be too early and we don't know enough yet to realize that CFC-113 is also
"bad" and should be banned. The example of the village in Switzerland may also
be valid, but it hardly proves the value of universal recycling of everything,
everywhere. The following is from a recent news article:

"Danes unbottle doubts over plastic waste targets
A report by Denmark's environmental protection agency (EPA) concludes that
there are no environmental benefits in collecting disposable plastic bottles
and other plastic containers, and that the costs of recycling them are
unacceptably high. The findings appear to confirm the results of similar
studies in other European countries.
The German environment agency reported earlier this month that small
lightweight packaging items might as well be incinerated as recycled on
environmental grounds. This spring Austria's environment agency released
similar findings."

Let's accept, for the sake of argument, that the popular environmentalists are
correct, i.e. that resources are finite. If that is the case then whenever we
devote resources to one "cause" we deny them to another. Shouldn't we be
careful and be sure that the resources we expend on issues such as recycling
are, in fact, the best use of those resources, because once spent, they are
gone forever. If I build a plant to recycle paper and then later find out that
it was a bad environmental investment because the environmental expenditures of
materials and energy in building and operating the paper recycling plant and
paper recycling program far exceed the environmental benefit gained from paper
recycling I have lost those resources forever.  That doesn't sound like
"sustainability" to me. With finite resources one can only make just so many
"wrong" decisions.

Chuck Dolci