LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Kay Nimmo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:42:26 +0100
Dear Gordon

It is vital to understand the precautionary principle upon which much
future legislation will be based, and of which the Ospar convention is
an example i.e. a metal/chemical cannot be used unless it is proven to
be of no danger to humans or the environment. This varies from the
previous approach which was to wait until some harm had been done (and
discovered) until a substance ban was implemented. This aproach
therefore leads on to the 'principle of substitution' and also
'prevention at source' (meaning effectively that it is preferable not to
use a hazardous material as this is the only way to ensure no
environmental contamination).

Under the precautinary principle it is the responsibility of industry to
demonstrate that a product does NO harm, NOT the responsibility of
legislators to show that a product does harm.

Whether I agree is not important, however, you should understand that
this aproach effects all metals and chemicals (and therefore products)
in all sectors, not just electronics. If you wish to challenge hazardous
materials bans then you will need to challenge the basis of the
precautionary principle.

Kay