LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Keith Sweatman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 04:36:34 EDT
Hi Harvey,

The question that you ask about the Japanese government position on other
metals  would have to be directed to the appropriate Japanese government
authority.  I regret that I do not have a contact to which you could direct
such an inquiry but I will see if can find one.

My primary concern is in finding cost effective solutions for the industry as
it deals with the reality of the market situation it faces and I leave the
debate on whether the change to leadfree solders is necessary or desirable to
others.    It is my understanding, however, that all the elements in the
waste stream have been reviewed by the relevant Japanese government authority
and dealt with according to the effect they are considered to have in the
environment.    I do not have the expertise to comment on the validity of
their judgement.

It may be that, as a result of the efforts of people like yourself, world
opinion against the use of lead in applications in which replacement may be
technically possible will be reversed.   In the meantime it would seem to be
worthwhile getting on with the task of developing a practical lead-free
soldering technology in case those efforts are not successful.   The Japanese
electronics industry is well down the track in that direction and I am
concerned that the longer the rest of the world industry delays commercial
implementation the longer it will take to catch up.

Regards
Keith Sweatman
Nihon Superior Co Ltd