LEADFREE Archives

July 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:33:23 +0100
Chuck,

2000 years was a convenient example of a time frame - humans have sailed

the oceans for many years dumping their waste into it. As we moved to

the industrial revolution, pollution became greater. The Victorians did

not think of pollution in terms of how it would affect future

generations........... we are still clearing up the mess.

We now understand what unconsidered disposal of waste products can do to

our earth and set about correcting or addressing the matter. There is

now an escalating amount of EEE which at some point becomes WEEE. Action

is being put in place now to address what otherwise would be a problem

in the future.

Globally, millions of $ has been spent by industry researching RoHS.

Just in terms of how leadfree solder will impact soldering reliability

this will run into millions. Millions more has been spent on replacing

equipment to solder with leadfree solder. The impact of RoHS on the

manufacturing chain and supply chain has been enormous - probably going

well beyond the imagination of the architects of RoHS.

To the manufacturer there is no payback other than the "satisfaction" of

knowing products are hopefully more environmentally friendly, although

even that is debateable. An increased amount of energy is required to

solder with leadfree, more silver will be used. Silver mining is a non

eco process and silver itself leaches out worse than lead. So you tell

me where the benefits to industry are.

Regards,

Chris