LEADFREE Archives

October 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:28:56 -0500
Hi BOSE-Dan, Leo, IPC LF Listservers,

Dan I think you are right.
BTW I think I have talked on the phone with Leo (DEC guy(frmly) I think)

There is no reason to add up this part and that part's lead content if each
part's lead content is below .1W% AS MEASURED by appropriate instruments
and techniques. For a time higher lead is allowed in certain places (in the
components at the chip level and elsewhere) which must be disregarded until
the EU elects to approve the final LF stage.

OK maybe someone who has taken the classes on the International System
which I believe is via the EU auto industry's guidance, or a MA-TURI, other
state like CA, UK-DTI, EU-Nation Compliance group can tell us if one has to
declare .08, or .06 as an assembly or as a sub sub constituent.

NOW It is my engineering guess that as this rolls out the percentage of
lead in a component will need to be listed on a specification sheet YET I
don't think we will go beyond that point based on reasonable practicalities.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave