LEADFREE Archives

February 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:15:43 -0500
 Good to hear from you again Chuck. I appreciate your comments.

I was reminded when reading your missive of a valuable acronym that has been part of the make up of the heading on my life path compass and have tried to hold true to that course heading these last 45 plus years since I first heard it. I credit Timothy Leary as originator (only because he was the one I first heard say it):

 "TFYQA" ... Think For Yourself, Question Authority.

Though not mentioned by historians in those exact terms (so far as I know) such principles of mental rigor seem to have been work in ushering in the Renaissance. Critical thinking and ethics should be required courses in high school if not before. What is most elusive is how to to generate curiosity and inquisitiveness in the youth of today. (unless one considers figuring out how to get to the next level in a video game an act of inquisitiveness)  Perhaps a return to the Socratic method for at least one hour a day?

While I appreciate your experiences and disappointment at the current situation you are encountering as a teacher, I share Werner's hopefulness about the future realizing fully that one cynical definition definition of an optimist is a fellow, who when he falls off a building, yells out at every floor on the way down "I am OK so far"... ;-)

Keep up the good fight...
Joe