LEADFREE Archives

September 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
to Paul Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:56:04 +0100
Hi All

I'd really like to hear from an OEM who involved with an exempted product
(like a server manufacturer).  One of the problems I see is that these
Servers etc are made with the same standard building block components
(processors, drivers etc etc) that the rest of us use. So the question
needs to be asked to the component suppliers is to see if they are going to
support both lead and lead-free components in the future.  Does this mean
that they will have to have new part numbers (re one of my earlier
questions to the forum) so that they can segregate the stock?  I expect
that the server people can (and already do use) components such as
capacitors with a dual finish (by that I mean one that is compatible with
both Pb and LF soldering)

Additionally, I'm interested in how their CEM assemblers are economically
going to keep both types of line going? when they may make both standard PC
and server at the same facility.

What was the reasoning behind the exemptions as far as telecomm & servers
etc go? I can understand the reliability concept as far as Military/Avionic
goes (having been in that industry), and that the volumes in these products
are much lower than commercial consumer goods making them easier to
control.  Are the exemptions to COTS parts as well??

regards
Paul

Paul R Taylor
Senior Engineer, Product Supply Group