LEADFREE Archives

August 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Oliver Betz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:15:18 +0200
Harvey Miller wrote:

> Below is an abstract describing operations of a major lead recycler.

as far as I see, recycling lead _is_ unsafe if done as awkward as in
some facilities in China and India - look at the Exeter study etc.

When done "correctly", it seems to be safe to recycle SnPb solder.

It seems that some people thought that the best way to protect the
people working under these horrible conditions is to use LF solder.

I do not think so. Maybe I'm too naive, but I would try better to
improve the recycling methods.

Besides this...

> The paradoxical unintended consequence of the lead ban will be
> enormous amounts of additional lead mined, as a byproduct of silver.
> I'll have an estimate soon from RSR Technologies.

... obviously _many_ other people will suffer from the effects of LF
soldering.

I still haven't seen any comparison. I don't know how many people are
recycling electronic waste inappropriately, and how many people
suffer from silver mining.

I don't know the amounts of electronic waste are shipped from the EU
to Asian backyard recyclers, but likely it's negligible since WEEE
claims for "correct" recycling. I guess the process electronic waste
mostly from non-EU countries.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen