LEADFREE Archives

January 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Marcus Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:25:24 -0600
Good day to all.

In light of a recent interchange addressing SAC balls on BGA packages, I
thought that I'd toss a mass-marketed item out here for discussion: the Xbox
360.  Despite the generally kitsch nature of this product, I believe that
some fruitful insights may be taken from the example nonetheless.

In short, how do we define the billion-dollar lead-free SJ failures which
have plagued this particular specimen?  As many have observed concerning
"green" solder formulations, the joints thus formed are more susceptible to
metallurgical failure modes of various types vs. Sn/Pb.  Yet, I have gleaned
that some carefully devised testing (by ostensibly impartial researchers)
has demonstrated the converse; promoting the cause for complete replacement
of Sn/Pb across the board (so to speak).

To sum, apart from whiskering concerns (Swatch?), is there clear evidence
that lead-free solder metallurgies per se are indeed a "non-issue?"  If so,
where does the case of the "Xbox" product failures need to be finally
classified?

Thanks again --