LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:38:31 -0600
Tom,

1. Testing in not a requirement for compliance with the marking and
disclosure requirements that go in to effect on March 1. Why China chose to
issue the test standard at this stage is unclear; it's unnecessary. The
direction has been that Chinese test labs only can do the testing. When I
asked Huang Jianzhong about that a year ago he said "other countries do not
accept our labs' test results; we are under no obligation to accept theirs".
This is a WTO issue; the US government is addressing it (along with a host
of other WTO issues related to this law)...I am not sure that they will be
all that successful.

2. The size is less than 4 mm...I think that's 1206 or 1210 (can't recall
off the top of my balding head). That only indicates what you would not have
to "disassemble" should you choose to disassemble parts in order to test
homogeneous materials. Asking whether this makes sense is probably not going
to get you anywhere...

Mike
www.chinarohs.com