LEADFREE Archives

October 2009

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:14:20 -0500
----- But that is not the way it is actually done. Here is how it is
really done:

	-Identify the hazard. Find out if you can make a buck or gain
political points by eliminating the "hazard". 	 	Campaign
tirelessly to eliminate the "hazard", but don't bother to find out any
real facts about the "hazard" or 	what the consequences of
elimination would be or any other form of due diligence, just attempt to
make yourself 	look good without regard of the effect on entire
industries, as well as individuals.

	-When confronted with evidence of unintended harm or resultant
shameful acts of exploitation from scores of 	industry experts, do not
react with responsibility and say "I may have been wrong", but rather
refute the evidence, 	ostracize the experts and denounce them as
non-environmentalist. Smirk and contend that there was no need for the
"hazard"; that alternate methods were in fact found. But don't mention
the fact that the alternate methods were 10 	times more harmful to
the environment or to individual safety than the original "hazard".

I am all for elimination and reduction of hazardous substances, but only
if there are substitutes that can be used without a lot of extra cost,
and without a great reduction in reliability, or without substitution of
one problem for another that is worse. Before shooting from the hip, one
must study and understand all of the effects, even if this may be a slow
process. Elimination and substitution are only two steps, the main part
is CONTROL.

But underneath it all, there has to be some common sense, and this is
sadly lacking.