LEADFREE Archives

November 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Timothy McGrady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:37:11 -0500
John:

Typically, labs do not share pricing information in a public forum.  Usually
pricing involves quotation between the client and the laboratory only.
However, I can give you some ideas of pricing based on what I know.

The prices for declarable substances testing range widely, but it is
difficult to judge quality of results based on price alone (though many in
the electronics industry have used the cheapest services).  For example,
several Asian laboratories have charged a few hundred dollars ($200 - $300)
for testing components for the full list of substances given on the typical
materials decalarations.  This usually involves grinding up complex
components and applying EPA test methods for soil and water to the ground up
mixture of metals, ceramics and/or plastics .  The results from such
testing, in my informed opinion, are dubious at best and could lead to
either false positive results or false negative results, the latter being
the worse of the two.

Materials-based testing for lead, cadmium, mercury, and total chromium by
ICP-AES also ranges widely in pricing, from about $15 per RoHS element to
$70 per element. Analysis for PBDEs/PBBs is labor and consumables intensive,
so pricing ranges from $225 -  $400 per sample.  Analysis of hexavalent
chromium on samples coated with chromates or trivalent replacements range
from about $50 - $200 per sample.  Sample preparation charges and lab report
and disposal fees are sometimes included in pricing but are often tacked on
as well.  Those fees range from $5 - $30 each per sample, so they can add
significantly to the overall cost.  Volume discounts are often given to
clients who submit high numbers of samples.  So for quantitative analysis of
materials for RoHS substances the typical cost per sample ranges from about
$350 - $1000 not including volume discounts.

Turnaround times also vary widely and are dependent upon the type of testing
requested as well as the volume of work handled by the laboratory.  Typical
turnarounds for quantitative analysis are from 1 - 3 weeks, with premiums of
100% or so charged for quicker turnaround (if quicker turnaround is
possible).

I do not have a good feel for what labs charge for XRF screening using
tabletop or handheld EDS-XRF equipment, but I can tell you that for handheld
XRF screening I charge only $15 per material (not per component!) with
additional charges for sample preparation if required (separation of
"homogeneous" materials -   typical prep charge is $15).  Price includes
report.  Note that the results are semi-quantitative only.  Turnaround is
normally within 3 days of receipt. (By the way, our quantitative analysis is
priced toward the lower range of the above pricing range.)

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Timothy McGrady
President, Serious Science
3510 Deerfield Heights
Cortland, NY 13045

T:607.753.9075
C:607.283.1926
E1:[log in to unmask]
E2:[log in to unmask]

www.seriousscience.com
Having trouble opening the attachment?  Download a free upgrade for Adobe
Acrobat at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

message.