LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Chuck Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 11:46:07 -0700
Pascal:
Interesting numbers. But your last comment raises some interesting questions. What is it
about the lead in solder in electronics that makes it so susceptible to leaching?
Perhaps car batteries do not go into landfills but virtually all other batteries do,
lead oxides in glass and ceramics end up in landfills. A good portion of other sources
of lead you have listed can end up in landfills, so what is it about the lead used in
electronic's solder that makes it so mobile?  How can they tell exactly where the lead
came from? Does the lead that has leached out have some kind of chemical marker that
identifies it as originating in electronics?

Since I am no chemist I don't understand these things, so correct me if I am wrong, but
except for the lead in ammunition and sheet lead isn't the lead in all the other listed
items an alloy or compound of lead and other elements (e.g. solder is an alloy of tin
and lead, brass is an alloy of lead and other stuff). If lead, as lead, can separate
itself from all of this stuff and find its way into the drinking water then what keeps
the lead in the lead alloys and compounds that are naturally occuring (i.e. the lead in
lead mines that has not been extracted) from likewise leaching into drinking water?

Chuck Dolci