LEADFREE Archives

April 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:10:06 +0300
CFCs have never been used as the primary liquid in VPS. The liquid is a
perfluorocarbon derivative which has two major disadvantages:
- it is horrendously expensive
- it is the world's worst greenhouse gas (an honour shared with sulfur
hexafluoride) with a climate change effect over 10,000 times worse than
CO2 and an atmospheric residency time in the many thousands of years. If
you emit 1 kg of the vapours today, your
great-to-the-power-of-40-grandchildren will still be suffering from your
carelessness. The real problem is that some of the vapour will be
trapped under components or in windings of inductors after soldering, no
matter how good the extraction and capture of the vapours are. That
means you would be causing great stress to the equilibrium of the
planet. 2 kg lost/year (typical in a good machine used well) is
equivalent to the CO2 emitted by a medium car in its whole lifetime.

My recommendations: although VPS is technically a good solution, it
should be used only when absolutely no alternative exists, as an
absolute last choice. If used, every effort must be made to capture as
much of the emissions as possible.

Remember also PFCs are targeted in the Kyoto Protocol as a controlled
substance; if your country has ratified it, you may be subject to controls.

CFCs were used only as a secondary blanket to limit emissions of the CFCs.

Brian