LEADFREE Archives

January 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:44:36 -0600
Pete, on your next lot of PWBs, perhaps you can ask the vendor to
provide you with a small quantity of boards with an alternate finish
such as IAg. See if you have the same issues with that lot. Use it as a
qualifying lot. If the fractures show up in that lot, you can be pretty
sure you are dealing with stress issues unrelated to the ENIG finish. If
they don't, you can assume the finish is causative. This is not a
black/white issue, because most of the time ENIG issues such as BN and
BP are also dependent on stress to bring them about. But it is often a
pretty good indicator.