LEADFREE Archives

March 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:31:52 +0200
Gordon

Whereas I half-agree with you regarding recycling, there is at least one
area where recycling electronics assemblies is cost-effective on its
own, and that is solder (I think CRTs may be another, but I won't be
quite as dogmatic there).

Do you remember the Hydrosqueegee of the late 1960s? Its function was
essentially similar to HASL, but with the disadvantages that it was a
dirty, stinking, process and that it left almost no solder on the pads,
just the IM layer, hence the solderability shelf life was short. A
similar type of machine can be used for recovering solder, but with a
more powerful action. You jet-spray the boards with an organic liquid at
240°C with very powerful pumps. All the solder is blasted off, leaving
just the thinnest IM (usually SnCus, with quasi-zero Pb), even in
populated holes. All non-glued SM components and many TH ones fall off,
as well. It takes ~5 s to treat a batch of boards. All the solder falls
to the bottom with the removed components, the latter being retained by
a perforated metal grid. Once a day, the solder is drained off into
ingot moulds and the grid is removed to recover the components for
drumming to a landfill (assuming there is no further recovery). All this
is done (unlike the Hydrosqueegee) under nitrogen. The value of the
solder far exceeds the costs. In fact, the solder can be used, as is,
for some mechanical soldering jobs, the alloy being typically (assuming
63/37 to start with) about 45Sn54Pb1Cu + traces of other metals (with
wide tolerances). Alternatively, the Cu and other impurities can be
removed by traditional smelting techniques and the alloy proportions
corrected to produce new solder to within various specs for electronics use.

Surely this is the least that can be done?

Now, RoHS/WEEE actually DISCOURAGES such recycling, simply because the
recovered metal contains lead, which will become useless and separating
the Sn from the Pb would be relatively costly.

So, no subsidies would be necessary and no significant lead would appear
in the landfills, either from the cooked boards or the components. The
liquid used in the machine? Used sump oil! No risk of fire, because of
the nitrogen. Changed weekly.

I believe that something like this is being used in a factory near
Nuremberg, very successfully. I saw a small machine similar to this,
about 10 years or so ago.

I can hardly believe you would slam into such a recycling process.

Brian