LEADFREE Archives

January 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:11:29 EST
In a message dated 1/22/2004 1:30:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In electronics manufacturing, operators in wave soldering, SMT reflow
> and rework operations can develop lead poisoning symptoms and need to be
> monitored every three to 6 months

Hello Pratap,

Thanks for background material.

It is a sad thing that those children are so exposed each case is a tragedy
but I am confident that it had nothing to do with electronic assemblies.

I recall reading of a case where the children in some homes an older
neighborhood in an inner city were all in good health until the city forced the clean
up of the lead paint on the buildings and at which point a significant number
of the children in the neighborhood then developed lead poisoning. In that
case the well intended preventative cure caused the disease.

That aside, I was left with a question based on the above comment.

I think we agree that if operator does not practice good hygiene (e.g washing
hands before eating or smoking) they might potentially have problems.

(Now that I think about it, hygienic smoking sounds a bit like an oxymoron
especially as it turns out they can ingest lead from smoking so that might not
help those individuals that much ;-)

Still, I have never seen or been directed to any scientifically documented
case studies that show a link in electronic manufacturing. Perhaps you can point
to such a study?

Thanks in advance.
Joe