LEADFREE Archives

April 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:47:29 -0500
Wolf,

I would caution you not to downplay the tin whisker issue.

I am a consulting engineer, and a very busy one. Right now a lot of my
time away from GD is working tin-whisker issues. Although most of those
I see are on lead-free product, they are showing up on leaded products
as well, typically at the portion of the termination where the leaded
solder stops and the tin-plated area begins.
It is nearly impossible to completely coat 100% of the tin-finished
RoHS-compliant leads with tin-lead solder. Often it is simply not
feasible without automating the process, and as a result there are many
instances where the tin-finished portion of the lead is exposed near the
component body, and that is where I am continually seeing the tin
whisker growth on RoHS-compliant parts.

Behind the few articles published are many more cases of tin whiskers
that never go public.

The issue is such that many military, automotive, avionics, and
high-reliability companies are investing in fully automatic robotic
tinning cells such as those manufactured by V-Tek or Corfin to
automatically dip all of their component leads in Sn63Pb37 solder prior
to assembly and soldering. Other mitigation methods have not proven to
work very well, including conformal coating.
Many of the assemblies with whiskers are on ENIG-finished PWBs. I don't
see how the plating finish works as a mitigation scheme, except possibly
with HASL finishes where the HASL is tin/lead. The few microinches of
gold in the solder volume are not enough to present any effective
mitigation up around the top of the fillet.

The last thing I would recommend to anyone is to switch to ENIG. That is
simply switching from one set of problems to another.