LEADFREE Archives

October 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Steele, Charlie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:20:56 -0400
http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/chemicals/chempol/whitepaper/reach.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Bavaro [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 11:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LF] Questions about US legislation regarding Lead free solder

Is there any current, proposed, or pending legislation in the US regarding
banning lead bearing solder?

Also, could someone point me to the Reach website so that I can familiarize
myself with that as well.

I looked on the EPA website but could not find any legislation on the books
with implementation dates for our industry, only a partnership project which
will publish their research findings this month.

Last question is whether or not there is any industry standards being
drafted (perhaps by IPC/ANSI) for designating that an item is certified to
be lead free or meeting the Japan or European legislation
requirements?    I am concerned that we have already entered the mixed
product phase and it will be difficult to know when we are actually in the
"free" phase without a way to know the classification of each and every
component.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Leadfree To temporarily stop delivery
of Leadree for vacation breaks send: SET Leadfree NOMAIL Search previous
postings at: http://listserv.ipc.org/archives Please visit IPC web site
http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for additional information,
or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315