LEADFREE Archives

December 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Robin Ingenthron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:55:28 -0500
Tangent from Bev's tangent:

Recycling generates about 100 times more employment, per ton, than mining or
disposal, and recycling (secondary smelters) tend to be close to
populations, as Bev suggests.

Mining produces about 1000 times more pollution than recycling.  45% of all
toxics released by all USA industries comes from hard rock (metal) mining.

However, mining occurs far away from populations.  Environmental enforcement
occurs close to populations.

Since 1968 all 7 secondary copper smelters in the USA have been closed, due
to environmental costs.   Primary mining and smelting continue.