LEADFREE Archives

December 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:28:32 -0800
Interesting thread subject - I was not aware that the US had moved away from
leaded solder??

Hi Pratap am not sure where you are going with this. However on the points
below since you have addressed them to me, for the record.

1/ I do not believe that I have ever anywhere put into print or verbally
that I am "anti RoHS". I am definitely against the lead in solders
legislation on the basis that it is not now nor has ever been a problem and
that the legislation has been put in place without any regard for the
reality of imagined issues whatsoever. I am I have to state pro environment
if that helps - and the replacements for leaded solder have far more
environmental impact than the materials that they replace.

2/ It is not possible to "unspend" dollars already thrown into the lead free
solder debacle.

3/ I do not believe it is in anyone's interest to pass "anti RoHS"
legislation since it may have missed your attention but this is not a school
playground. It is up to a free trade system to decide what to buy outside of
a country where those materials are legislated - it is after all a free
market.

4/ As regards all of the other issues that you mention which have all been
leveled at lead free - the reliability and environmental issues will I
believe be the drivers to any reversal of current legislation.

As I said - it is a free market. I just purchased a new English sports bike,
and took the decision to purchase an "old stock" unused 2005 model - no
prizes for the answer to why I did that. I for one do not want anything
falling out of the sky, failures in safety critical equipment, or any other
failures due to the integrity of the interconnect method, that is why I and
others keep pushing back against the legislation - it is certainly not for
the hourly rate we get paid for doing it.

Kind regards

John Burke

  _____