LEADFREE Archives

February 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:04:24 -0600
Hi Chris, Gordon, David, , , IPC LF Listservers,

Chris I think I understand your note, yet I don't know why DTI has given
this position.

<When we have raised this point with the DTi there is no mandatory
requirement to repair RoHS compliant product with RoHS compliant
materials.
<
However you need to consider your own scenarios and also consider the
WEEE directive, one aim of which, maybe indirect, is to keep product out
of the waste stream for as long as possible.>

Since "Put on the Market" is used as a phrase in the legislation and
products, sub systems, and systems will be labelled as Lead Free or NOT how
do you take a Lead Free labelled system and make it a mixture of non LF
components. Repairing a SnPb product with SnPb I understand.

Let's take a Clothes Washing Machine (in the US we call it that) and make
it a Lead Free machine.  Then a service man/oman comes and repairs it with
a fully leaded Motor or a SnPb Control Unit. The machine is top labelled or
thought by the consumer and the recycling facility to be lead free so when
it is trashed it is trashed as Lead Free. As you can see this makes no
common sense unless they are instructed to disfigure any LF labeling or
dating.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave