LEADFREE Archives

October 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:53:23 +0530
Hi everybody
I would add one more question to Amol's
In my search of a new wavesolder machine (WSM)for LF I have come across some
machines who have a quick method of changing the solder bath from LF to Non
LF and vice versa  to meet the 'todays' needs of the line LF or non LF .Is
the bath only the culprit.Do they expect all PCB carriers to be replaced  or
all fingers of the WSM to be 'purified'  everynow and then Is this sensible
to do ?.Can you really change all the other contributors in a flip and
changeover and still maintain the santity
I agree with Tony.we shall probably squeeze one more LF assembly line along
with the present NLF (with perhaps a nonpermious membrane in between.)  Shoo
away the Testing line for some time to create some space.The testing line is
normally easily re-locatable  as they dont have solderguns or just dont
contribute component wise and mainly the  people are supposed to be from
knowledgeable engineers phylum.Material shall be required to travel more and
get handled (or manhandled) more .Your ESD precautions are going to get
stressed
The components store is expected to be in a mess as well as  the material
handling software .You bet there are going to be multiple numbers for the
same products but with and w/o the LF tag and inventories are going to build
.You gonna have fast moving components of one no and dead stock of same
component under a different no.Your accountants are going to scream unless
,ofcourse ,you have properly and sufficiently confused them
Maybe after a year or so when we have gathered sufficient expertise on LF
could we plan to disband the old line and I have my doubts who would
purchase the old NLF machines  or maybe we need to donate them to some
educational institute to enlighten our new generations.Unfortunately for
contract manufacturers (bigamists)required to satisfy military,space and
consumer electronics simultaneously may need to run two households !.
Enjoy the change buddies
Ajay Moghe