LEADFREE Archives

November 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:33:02 -0000
Well I am surprised ass silver is a popular finish, it works well for
tin/lead and lead free but is dependent on the suppliers control of his
finish like any other. If one company does an evaluation and the results are
poor then they may reject it.

The key issue is  the process and its control and the customer evaluating
finishes correctly with his supplier. I have had good quality silver finish
just the same as I have had poor quality from the UK and China. I have run
some silver boards in a no clean process with lead free that were 18month
old with no issue, not recommended. Recent trials with two selective
soldering suppliers with lead-free were also very good with 8 month old
boards.

In the case of tin I have not run any tin boards with long delay. I have
experienced problems with current production, again its the quality of the
process during PCB and the final washing stages.

Hope this helps

Bob Willis
2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 4HA
Tel: 01245 351502
Fax: 01245 496123
Mobile: 07860 775858
Email: [log in to unmask]