LEADFREE Archives

October 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:35:38 +0300
Keith

Thanks for this comprehensive explanation. However, there is one
possible omission: the role of halides as flux activators, even when
present in minute quantities. Such organic halides or their inorganic
decomposition products will dissolve the refractory oxide layer on all
stainless steels like gangbusters, leaving it exposed to the actions you
adequately describe.

Brian