LEADFREE Archives

April 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:24:05 +0100
You are right, but you need to pay close attention to the semantics
here:  "virgin grade" and "virgin metal" are not quite the same thing.
There is also a distinction between recycled and refined.

I have always understood "virgin grade" to mean metal that is as pure
as freshly mined i.e. never been used  "virgin metal". Virgin grade
can be achieved by refining recycled metal.

So far as I know all suppliers use virgin grade, with most electronic
grade suppliers also claiming further unique refining/processing
in-house.

After use electronic grade material is still pure enough for non
electronic use and so can be recycled as a lesser grade, and this
itself can then be recycled, [with some alloying additions and
corrections] for another less demanding application and so on till
there is nowhere to go except back to a big smelting company who will
clean the material right up by a true refining process to restart the
cycle.

Mike