LEADFREE Archives

February 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 00:16:38 -0800
Chuck
Thanks for your very thoughtful reply. Note that I retitled the thread. We've traveled a bit from the original, so it is really unfair to mislead those who may have been interested in that original subject.

Below is an excerpt from Fortune that actually quantifies  those sub-prime loan value, something over 20% of total mortgage value, which I presume includes commercial real estate as well.. That is certainly big enough for defaults to have been a trigger.  But there were a lot of other potential defaults lurking to burst the balloon.

I would like to make one constructive point that does relate to the electronics industry.

Many have called attention to past over-valuation of real estate investment in the U.S. relative to industrial development or R&D, the real progenitors of future wealth. This is a disproportion that cannot be addressed politically.  No politician would dare the wrath of all those folks who were sure that their houses were going to make them rich.  In formulating the very unwise policy of forcing Fanny to underwrite those sub-prime loans, politicians made the distortion of resources worse. It was bad policy and did
no favors to mortgage recipients, but was it the primary cause of the Bubble? That would be a presumption.

Now that over-valuation is being "corrected". I suspect there is further to go. A lot of people are mad, but in future time, we shall look back on this period as a corrective hang-over, a therapeutic signal that now it is time to go to work building the industries of the future. (I hope.)

The risk in subprime
http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/28/magazines/fortune/subprime.fortune/index.htm

By Ellen Florian
Kratz, Fortune writer
March 1 2007: 5:13 PM EST
 Last year, 13.5 percent of mortgages originated in the U.S. were
subprime, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association, compared to 2.6
percent in 2000. Overall, the subprime market was $600 billion in 2006, 20
percent of the $3 trillion mortgage market, according to Inside Mortgage
Finance. In 2001, subprime loans made ups just 5.6 percent of mortgage dollars