LEADFREE Archives

September 2007

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Lester Subrattee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:03:47 -0400
Most resins of that type should be compatible with FR-4 which is epoxy
based.
It appears that there isn't a peak exotherm, so you're probably OK
during application.

I'm not sure what components are in your modules and where in an
automobile it will be placed or the durometer of the resin but CTE
mismatch could wreak havoc on the field reliability. Particularly if
under the hood.

PVC wires are normally not a problem. Pay attention to how the potting
settles around the wires. It may not bond to the wires at all. This
could allow a moisture path along the wires to the circuit.
 Where the wires emerge from the potting there may be a thin sharp edge
of potting. This could damage the wires during vibration.

Regards,
LS