LEADFREE Archives

March 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:40:00 -0600
Hi Larry, Chris, Dennis, , , IPC LF Listservers,

Well I read everyone's notes and I come back to one part of your question.

<I have a customer who wants us to build a board to help him validate lead
free.>  validate to me usually means leading to full manufacturing
qualification.

Since you might have to live with his/her validation I would try to
understand what they are trying to validate and maybe how this might be to
your detriment.

You already received some good answers here on your topic and on another
topic of Solder Dross and Solder Pot maintenance i.e. "Lead-Free Dross in
Wave Solder systems". Among items to consider is the reduced MSL ratings
i.e. floor and shelf life for certain SnPb era plastic encapsulated
componentry. I mean you are going to go about 34 degrees hotter.

I do understand how the Japaneese did their mixed processing for consumer
products yet I believe that was a consistent mixing with high volume, low
reliability, low return products that didn't need the full 34 degrees.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave