LEADFREE Archives

November 2002

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"David Suraski [AIM]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:30:57 -0500
Dear Eric,

This is somewhat different than our experience.  The coating on leads is
very thin and in wave soldering a mechanical removal of the finish occurs,
like sugar-into-water removal, so that it is the base metal that is really
being soldered to. The IBM paper that I referenced earlier claims that the
SnAgCu eutectic is low and from my interpretation recommends alloys closer
2.7Ag. The paper states that "for compositions equal to or less than 2.7 wt.
% Ag , the Ag3Sn phase cannot nucleate or grow within the liquid in a solder
joint without undercoolings in excess of 20 °C. Since the typical
undercooling required for nucleation found in the present study was
approximately 20 °C, Ag3Sn plate formation is surpressed, independent of
cooling rate. This hypothesis was tested, as shown in Fig. 2, with an alloy
of 2.5 wt. % Ag. No plates formed even at the lowest cooling rates in a
sample size of more than 150 solder joints".

Also in our experiece the structure of Sn and SnCu are actually quite
different and therefore are difficult to compare.
In terms of wetting, because the high silver alloys wet slower, the dwell
time in the wave with these alloys is longer, resulting in more heat
exposure to the component. Using a better-wetting alloy may minimize
component damage.

Regards,
David