LEADFREE Archives

January 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Morse, Carrie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:19:30 -0500
Which equipment is shared depends on how well your organization can
control and prevent cross-contamination (not only of the metals, but
also of inventory, fluxes, etc)

My personal feeling is that ALL equipment can be shared if all equipment
has the capability to reach the temps necessary.

We currently have a separate "RoHS" room just to help keep things
separate.  Within this room are the following pieces of equipment:  1
SMT pick and place line (screen print, placement machine, oven), wave
machine, benches for "RoHS" assembly and hand soldering.  This is being
done simply to keep the soldering operations separate (tips, solders,
etc).

We will be sharing the following equipment:
Thru-hole insertion, prep and preform, cleaning.  But, the handling
portions of these pieces of equipment should be wiped prior to running a
LF job.  They don't need to be wiped down going LF to Leaded (in our
opinion).

IF you plan on sharing printing equipment, I would recommend separate
blades and possibly separate stencils, although, if you have a good
cleaning system, you can probably get both sufficiently clean.  It all
depends on where you want to take the risk -- financial vs. cross
contamination.

-Carrie