LEADFREE Archives

July 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jim Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:51:08 -0400
Charles:

The most serious problem with banning lead does not involve the components. It's the
attributes of the solder alternatives. They require higher temperatures. The elevated
soldering temperatures lead inevitably to greater likelihood of heat-induced component
failures as well as widespread need to replace currently satisfactory reflow equipment that is
unable to achieve the higher thermal profiles. Then there's the issue of wave soldering; I
have yet to see a successful demonstration of lead-free solder that, like 63/37 tin/lead
alloy, has absolutely no pasty range. Once a pasty range enters the picture, wave soldering is
no longer viable.

Jim Smith
Managing Director
Cambridge Management Sciences, Inc.