LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:48:36 -0700
Nicely put Joe............

Yes the tin industry as you say are just doing business, does anyone
know whether it is actually legislated though. The history of tin mining
has made huge negative impacts on the local ecosystems where it has been
extracted, just type "tin mining pollution" into any web browser and see
what comes up.

I found the reference below to a 2001 conference where there was a call
for smelters not to purchase ore from illegal mining operations, the
link is here:

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=13026&newsdate=30-Oct
-2001

The UN has done its bit to highlight the issues caused by mining. Here
is a link from a report where 20000 people were affected by the results
of tin mining pollution.

http://www.mineralresourcesforum.org/workshops/regulators/2000/docs/Phic
hit.pdf

Finally for those with a graphic turn of mind here is a web site showing
the type of pollution that can result from these operations.

http://www.terrywhittaker.com/galleries/13tinmining/13tinmining.htm

Like I said I truly hope that there are some actual laws in place to
control these activities since I have to say this legislation from
Europe seems a little one sided considering the lack of actual data to
support actual issues of lead leaching in land fill and given the
legislation whereby it will not be in the "normal" waste stream anyway -
compared to the extensive and well documented issues you will find if
you type the phrase "tin mining pollution" into a browser.

John Burke