LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 18:34:46 EDT
Hello DDave,
The reliability test data that Carol Handwerker (NIST) referred is from a
NEMI lead-free project.  Summary presentations that were given at APEX
conferences are available under the NEMI web page at: nemi.org .

From the above presentations, my impression is that the NEMI consortium
generated useful data. I am looking forward to the write-up in the Wiley/IEEE Press
book, whenever it becomes available.
If you add data from other sources, you should be able to start building a
database from which you can draw your own conclusions.  With enough data from
consortia and elsewhere, you should even be able to develop your own reliability
model.  There is some work to that effect here and there, but the fact that
it is coming slowly is the nature of the business (reliability models require
some serious validation).  For comparison, note that SnPb has a 30+ year
history of model / acceleration factor development.

Last, as somebody pointed out recently in this forum, we each have to do our
homework to establish product reliability.  I.e., accelerated test data
(wherever it comes from) has to be extrapolated to individual designs and product
use conditions to see if product reliability requirements are met.  We (as an
industry) know how to do that for SnPb, so it should also be feasible for
lead-free solders sometime in the future.  This requires some detailed technical
work and validation.  If you have the tools (predictive model / acceleration
factors) already available, I 'd be interested in hearing about it.

With best regards,
Jean-Paul

In a message dated 5/17/2004 5:53:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,