LEADFREE Archives

February 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:21:37 -0000
This is a UK based answer!

Reasonable steps cannot be universally defined because they vary depending upon the situation. Guidance is available but no definitive rules.
We have one customer who puts millions of product on the market per year, their definition of reasonable steps is to spend £50k on a machine, employ a group of chemists/physicists and qualify every item in their product themselves. Another customer we have put a few hundred products on the market each year and a reasonable step for them is for us to use reputable component suppliers and retain evidence that the components are RoHS compliant (CofCs). Both of these reasonable steps may be considered OTT, adequate or inadequate by the agent for the secretary of state, in our case NWML. We won't know until NWML ask for evidence of compliance.
The article in EW was very unhelpful. CofCs may be evidence of reasonable steps if you have done a risk assessment of the source of the CofC. Again NWML would decide that when they examine evidence of compliance.

I think the most important point is that doing nothing is definitely not acceptable. If you do risk assess your suppliers, do retain evidence of compliance then you can at least show some evidence to NMWL and can have a sensible discussion about how to 'improve' if they feel it necessary. NWML can issue a compliance notice to get those 'improvements.

'Reasonable steps' can be got through Google
E.g. http://www.askcedric.org.uk/modules.php?modid=5&chapid=20&sec=4

Trading Standards offices often have examples of reasonable steps on their web sites. Some give good examples e.g. where Boots (A big UK chemist chain) got prosecuted where the reasonable step was 'big & expensive' but within the capability of Boots and the risk generated was high (Lead in paint on a toy, I think) whereas a small company was acquitted as there was no further reasonable step that the small could have taken.

I hope this helps.
Rex