LEADFREE Archives

April 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:35:58 +0100
Start by having your ve
Yes all finishes can go off even gold.

Start by having your vendor supply in shrink vac sealed packs of X (we

use packs of 10).

Then implement a control policy for board stock on low runners. This is

the basics of ours:

In-house board stock older than 6 months:

5.1 Board stock older than 6 months but less than 12 months; process one

board from the stock as a solder sample per Section 4.

5.2 Board stock older than 12 months:

* HASL finish: process one board from stock as a solder sample per

Section 4

* ENIG finish: return boards to vendor for acid clean etch and rinse

5.3 Board stock older than 36 months: dispose of stock - requires

approval of Production Manager.

5.4 Board stock age to be determined from packaging receipt label, where

this is not available use date code on PCB.

5.5 Solder sample failures to be referred to Production Engineering. In

some circumstances it may be possible to rework HASL boards to

rejuvenate the surface finish - seek advice from vendor.

Although we have started using IAg finish for RoHS product we have not

yet added this into the process.

If the ENIG boards are in a sealed pack and have been stored under

reasonable conditions they should easily be good to 12 months and can be

easily rejuvenated by a pcb vendor.

We have processed HASL boards after 5 years which have sat in a fairly

closely controlled environment without having them re-HASL'd.

Regards,

Chris