LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Keith Sweatman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:18:20 EDT
Harvey,

All I can say is that you raise some very valid points to which I am not
qualified to respond.    I think that landfill may be an option for disposal
of appliances in Japan, in which case the premium for those that have been
made with lead-containing solder would be for the extra cost of containment
to prevent contamination of ground water.   But don't quote me on that.

I have to correct you on one point, however.   I have NOT said and would not
say that the world "would be advised" to follow the unilateral mandate that
is forcing the change in Japan.

I do not think that it is the place of any supplier to make any
recommendations at all on whether the rest of the world's electronics
industry should go down the leadfree path.

All I am saying is that, whether it is technically, environmentally or
economically justifiable or not, there is a trend against the use of lead
anywhere where there is a technically feasible leadfree alternative.   My
experience in trying to fight that trend in another industry many years ago
(solder in food can sideseams) suggests to me that it is unlikely that it can
be stopped.   That being the case, and given that one part of the world
electronics industry has decided to accept the inevitable and get on with it,
it would seem wise for the rest of the industry to get some commercial
production experience, albeit on a trial basis, sooner rather than later.

The motivation behind my contributions to this forum has been simply to let
participants know something of what the experience has been so far.

To avoid unnecessary duplication of effort perhaps the IPC could organise a
program in which all members could share in the benefit of a small number of
sponsored production sites.    Running this in parallel with the equally
valuable  Life Cycle Assessment program to which you referred might be a way
for the IPC to hedge its bets on the leadfree issue.

Regards
Keith Sweatman
Nihon Superior Co Ltd