LEADFREE Archives

August 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Davy, Gordon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:54:10 -0400
Here are three articles appearing in the July 2001 News Leader of the Lead
Industries Association (http://www.leadinfo.com), written by Jeff Miller,
the Executive Director. I received it just today. They fit right in with
what we've been discussing. The first is about press sensationalism and
money grubbers; the other two are success stories, complete with hard
numbers.
Don't expect to see these data reported by the activists. They will no doubt
continue with their vague allegations about potential risks and their
appeals to altruism ("product stewardship" seems to be the latest buzz
phrase). Conclusion: if it weren't for people looking to make something out
of nothing to advance their agenda and keep themselves in business, lead
today would be a non-issue.
(I mentioned before that one activist stated as his agenda "ridding the
biosphere of all hazardous materials." He's set for life - he'll never go
out of business. Just imagine trying to appease him - he'll take all you
offer and press on for the next most hazardous material on his list.)
One only wonders if people like this will ever be held accountable -
publicly disgraced - for their irresponsible behavior. What they are doing
is not illegal - deliberate misrepresentation is still protected speech as
long as it isn't libel -  but it continues to cause the wasting of untold
millions of dollars because so many people, including news reporters, still
are unaware that they are being deceived. We have a right to be upset!

Gordon Davy
Baltimore, MD
410-993-7399
Opinion - Science Reporting by the Press
Recently, the press has reported on a new study suggesting adverse health
effects for children with blood lead concentrations below 10 micrograms per
deciliter. Newspaper, television and radio have all joined in broadcasting
the so-called "findings" of this new study. The study was presented to the
public at the recent annual meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies.
However, if you contact the office of the principal researcher, you will
find that a copy of the study is not available, You will also find that
there is no abstract available. Further research shows that the study has
never been peer reviewed and has not been published in any journal. (Does
this sound familiar!) All that you can obtain is a copy of a slick press
release.
Yet, the media, anti-lead advocates and ambulance chasing plaintiff
attorneys have seized upon these results as "gospel" and are pressing to
create a nationwide epidemic that does not exist.
Our society has made great strides over the past half century in lowering
lead exposure to all people, including young children. Most recent
government studies indicate that the average blood lead 1evel in young
children is now close to 2 micrograms per deciliter. Science and health
groups have concluded that for the vast majority of American children, lead
poisoning is a condition of the past. Government officials have claimed lead
exposure reduction as a success story.
Ironically, however, unless the "problem" is resurrected, government grant
money to researchers will evaporate. Thus we are faced with continuing
pressure to bring lead poisoning into the national spotlight, to make it a
problem worth millions of dollars of further research and study.
Unfortunately, the media has been led down a road where it becomes the
vehicle for this effort.
The CDC's Agenda on Childhood Lead Poisoning
Gary Noonan, Acting Chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC), Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch, addressed LIA members at the 73rd
Annual Meeting, reiterating that the reduction of blood lead levels in the
nation's children is a success story. In 1976-1980, 88.2% of children (ages
1 through 5) had blood lead levels above 10 micrograms per deciliter
(?g/dl). By 1991-1994, that percentage had dropped to 4.4, a decline of 95%.
Data show that blood lead averages for these children were 15 ?g/dl in
1976-80 and are now about 2 ?g/dl.
Noonan reported that the CDC has no plans to lower the 10 ?g/dl level of
concern. CDC, apparently, is unconvinced about the value of lowering the
level below 10 ?g/dl. "It's full of a lot of problems and I don't know what
we would do differently, if we lowered the number below 10."
Moving forward, CDC's plans include: 1) to improve the screening and
identification of children; 2) to identify, control and remediate lead
hazards; and 3) to harness the power of the information systems and improve
childhood lead poisoning prevention information, using the latest
technology.
New York Health Department Reports Dramatic Decline in Childhood Lead
Poisoning
In May 2001, the New York State Health Department released a new report:
"Protecting our Children from Lead: The Success of New York's Efforts to
Prevent Childhood Lead Poisoning", which indicates a significant decline in
lead poisoning among children in New York State. The report, considered the
most comprehensive on this subject in the State's history, indicates a 45%
decline from 1996 to 1999 in newly identified children (ages 6 months to
less than six years) with blood lead levels of 10 ?g/dl or greater. The
proportion of all children who had a confirmed blood lead level greater than
10 ?g/dl dropped from less than 3% in 1996 to 1.9% in 1999.
According to New York State Health Commissioner Antonia C. Novello, M.D.,
M.P.H, "we have witnessed a dramatic decline in the number of lead poisoning
cases among New York's children". Dr. Robert Bonvino, President of the
Medical Society of the State of New York, reinforced Novello's comments,
stating: "The Medical Society is highly encouraged by the findings of the
report released by the New York State Department of Health. The findings of
the report are very promising."
The report indicated that the incidence rate for children up to age six
years with blood-lead levels of 20 ?g/dl or greater had declined 46%. It.
further noted that nearly every county in New York State had a decrease in
the prevalence rate (the proportion of all children tested in a given year
who had ever had a confirmed elevated blood level).
The report also indicated that the number of dwellings investigated and
found to have lead hazards dropped approximately 49%. This decline is all
the more noteworthy since New York State has the highest number of housing
units built prior to 1950, according to the report.
"This report highlights our successes in reducing childhood lead poisoning
prevalence over the past four years...", according to Dr. Novello.
The New York City Department of Health reported a similar, dramatic decline
in the incidence of childhood lead poisoning over the period 1996-1999. The
number of new cases of children ages six months to six years with elevated
blood leads of 10 ?g/dl or higher declined 51%. The number of young children
with blood lead levels 20 ?g/dl or higher dropped by 44%.