LEADFREE Archives

August 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
David Suraski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:59:36 -0400
Dave,

If you don't have full knowledge of this report, why would you call it
biased?  Have you read the report?  Have you noticed all of the
manufacturability and reliability studies performed by third parties?
Over $1 million and several months were spent on this study.

Why would solder manufacturers be biased against higher-silver alloys
when the costs of these are passed on to end users? The study
objectively tested various tin-silver-copper alloys and found minimal
differences between them.  What it comes down to is, why spend more on
silver when it's not needed?  If the study found that a higher silver
alloy showed significantly better results, that alloy would have been
recommended.

So... what is your justification for calling it "biased"?

Regards,
David Suraski
AIM