LEADFREE Archives

January 2007

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:14:56 -0800
Brian:

  You entirely miss the point.

  Unlike so many on this and other forums I do not pretend to be an authority - I look to the information from the real authorities, such as Bruce Ames, et al., in this case.

  As for the chemicals I cited they ARE carcinogens as the EPA, FDA and other governmental authorities define carcinogens (mutagens and teratogens, etc.).  The fact that it takes absolutely absurd and implausible quantities of a chemical to cause tumors in rodents is exactly the point. But that is the standard we have created.

  If you define a standard for carcinogenicity for industrial chemicals you can not then argue for using a different standard for "natural" chemicals.  We pump laboratory rats full of huge doses of industrial chemicals for most of their brief lives, and then find tumors or other problems when they are cut open. We then wail and moan and groan that these same chemicals in the most minute quantities are going to lead to all sorts of diseases and disorders in man and then legislate to ban their usage. OK I have no problem with that, but then you need to apply the same criteria to natural chemicals.

  According to the Food and Drug Administration the standard and near universal way to determine carcinogenicity is with the rodent lifetime tumor bioassay. The maximum tolerated dose (MTD) (i.e. the highest dosage that won't kill the rodent in one shot) for a particular chemical is determined in a dose-range finding study, then doses just below the MTD are administered to male and female rats and mice daily for two years. A statistically significant, chemical-associated increase in tumor count is taken as evidence of carcinogenicity.  When they ran these tests using the natural chemicals I described they find that they are "carcinogens".

  I don't for a moment believe that they will cause cancer or that they are even harmful, but they ARE "carcinogens" because that is how we have defined the term and that is how we legislate.

  BTW, even though safrole and safrole containing sasafras oils were banned from use as food additives by the FDA sassafras root can still be found in health food stores and are used to make tea.

  Brian, before you go on these rants I suggest you read the sources I quote.  Bruce Ames is one of the world's leading authorities in this field and I am merely quoting his work. Plus there are many other scientists who lists these chemicals as carcinogens.  Reread my post. At no time did I say the listed chemicals were harmful, I said they were "carcinogens" which they are.

  The point I made is that you can't get all hot and bothered about man-made chemicals because they cause cancers in rats and then ignore the same results from natural chemicals and claim that somehow they are all OK because nature is just so friendly.

  Chuck D.

Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Chuck

Since when were you an authority on toxicology and epidemiology that you
dare make unqualified and categorical statements on the carcinogenicity
of chemicals? Your statements are on a par with Madonna saying that she
has the way of counteracting radioactivity. Please leave such matters to
people who know about what they are talking.

Ethanol, per se, is NOT a known carcinogen. It is a known
trafficaccidentogen, sure. It is surmised by anecdotal evidence that a
small percentage of alcoholics do develop a cancer, probably due to
inhibition of the metabolisation of acetaldehyde into acetic acid, but
this has been observed in persons consuming an average of well over 100
g ethanol/day. However, most people on this dosage do not develop
cancers because they are able to metabolise acetaldehyde more rapidly:
the cancer is therefore due to a combination of continuous heavy alcohol
consumption and an enzymatic deficiency. Your kind of statement is to be
deplored because it can mislead ordinary people.

Caffeic acid has been shown to induce tumours in rodents with a gavage
of 2% of the substance in their food. This would be equivalent to a
person of 75 kg drinking over 300 cups of strong coffee per day. There
is no known epidemiological evidence without confounding factors that
caffeic acid is toxic to humans, in any way, at normal dosages.

d-Limonene is on FDA's list of synthetic flavoring substances and
adjuvants that are Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS). Oxidation
products of limonene that form during handling and storage, rather than
limonene itself, are the mediators of irritation and sensitization.
Although chronic oral administration of d-limonene to rats caused kidney
damage and kidney tumors in the males, this effect is thought to have no
human relevance (IARC Group 3). Again, this is unnecessary
scare-mongering, which is to be deprecated.

Safrole is a known carcinogen in rodents submitted to high-dose gavage,
more so in mice than rats. The FDA declared it unsuitable for use in
human foods on the precautionary principle. Its consumption in the USA
used to be mainly through sassafras root, used in making root beer.
Betel nut contains relatively high concentrations of safrole and studies
are being made amongst habitual chewers. However, the areca quid
contains other chemicals from the betel and from the concomitant impure
lime used by chewers, which makes identification of the effect of each
substance very difficult. This is partially compensated by the fact that
betels from different regions have very different proportions of each
chemical and statistical studies can more or less judge the effect of
each. However, the main difficulty in these studies is the bioactivation
of the tissues due to tobacco smoke. As far as data available to me can
say, safrole in high doses is a known carcinogen for rodents but there
is no known evidence that it is carcinogenic for humans, although it may
be under some circumstances.

This kind of thing is similar to what I have already indicated regarding
solvents. Trichloroethylene is a known carcinogen for rodents but is
deemed as non-carcinogenic for humans after extremely long and detailed
epidemiological studies with cohorts of thousand of persons exposed to
it. The difference is because the metabolic processes in different
species can vary considerably. It is therefore very dangerous to
extrapolate the toxicological findings in one species to another
species. However, if a substance is found to e.g., induce tumours in one
species, it can be an indicator where to look in other species.

Toxicology and epidemiology are very complex subjects. As it happens, I
took a post-grad course in industrial toxicology for engineers 20 years
or so ago and it really angers me when laymen say that a given substance
is teratogenic or carcinogenic or whatever without qualification. This
is like Linda McCartney stating that juvenile milk consumption is the
cause of obesity.

Sorry if I appear harsh, but science is about turning hypotheses into
facts, not presupposing that a hypothesis is fact.

Happy New Year!!!

Brian