LEADFREE Archives

February 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:09:39 -0800
Bob Landman obviously knows the difference between absolute "environmentalism" and its intelligent application.  The latter is called
"Industrial Ecology", which happens to be the title of a book published
in 1995, by the two authors mentioned below.  Lead-free solder was determined
to be anti-environmental in that 1995 book.

The challenge is one of education. To reflexively condemn all those dumb politicians and environmentalists is counter-productive.  Let's learn and teach Industrial Ecology. That means cost-benefit analysis applied to the entire system,
through the entire life cycle of "contaminant" substances and their alternatives.

In general, we would find that PCBs (halogenated polyphenyls) are indeed bad period, But DDT can be selectively applied, and so can Pb. (Don't put tetraethyl lead in gasoline).  We would re-establish that there are few absolutes in the world and that most substance risks and benefits are dosage-dependent. People have died from too much hydrogen dioxide.

I think, bottom line, that we are faced with a human problem. People like simple answers in a scenario of action-reaction  per Newton's 3d Law.  With the advent of the Industrial Revolution, we humans began polluting the earth indiscriminately.
We didn't know any better.  When we did learn better, the game looked like Industry, the bad guys, vs. the "environmentalists". the good guys.
Well it is time to change that game.  Memo to the human species: TIME TO GROW UP.

The authors of "Industrial Ecology" and many subsequent books on the topic:

Braden R. Allenby (born 1950) is an American environmental scientist, environmental attorney and Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, and of Law, at Arizona State University.

Thomas E.
Graedel is Clifton R. Musser Professor of Industrial Ecology, Professor
of Chemical Engineering, Professor of Geology and Geophysics, and
Director of the Center for Industrial Ecology at Yale University. He is
the author of Streamlined Life-Cycle Assessment and lead author or coauthor of a number of other books.