LEADFREE Archives

March 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:01:37 -0400
 Hi Bob,
While not all of RoHS is bad, your points are well taken.
So lets concentrate on the real bad part—the Pb ban.
We should actually turn the argument around. Since it now is clear, that all the substitutes for SnPb are environmentally more damaging—less sustainability, more energy use, worse in land fills, more scrap to go into land fills, lower reliability, tin whiskers, ravaging tin mining, etc. etc., the USA should ban electronic imports that contain Pb-free solders [unless their use can be explicitly justified] on those grounds. That would put USA products on a higher plane than those problematic Pb-free electronic products with the arguments of more environmentally products that are also more reliable.
Werner