LEADFREE Archives

November 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jim Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:23:25 -0500
Wolf-Dieter:

First, thank you for reiterating a point that some of us have been making for quite a while
about the headlong plunge into lead-free solder: Expect many more assembly failures.
Electronics assembly 101 teaches that reliability goes down as heat applied during assembly
goes up. I wonder what in-house failure/scrap rate the Japanese manufacturers are experiencing
with lead-free production. And what is the field failure rate? We will never know the true
numbers.

Second, you jogged my memory about the "Japan is doing it, so we should, too" argument.
Basically, lead-free products thus far have been produced for marketing purposes. If American
companies can make money with a lead-free strategy, they will do it. But I haven't seen any
marketing studies on this list or anywhere else that say the benefits offset the costs and
risks. No matter what the studies say, I continue to assert that IPC and other industry
organizations should be working on providing an environment in which manufacturers are free to
make those marketing decisions.

Jim Smith
Managing Director
Cambridge Management Sciences, Inc.