LEADFREE Archives

December 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Carol Spiers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:22:57 -0700
Thanks for the input Rick, I totally agree with you.  Makes sense since the two swipe thing would be totally inefficient (costly) as I would have to mask of the footprints for the leaded parts, put the non leaded parts in after the first Pbfree swipe and then wave in th SnPb.  Now for my next question.
Here's a real life scenario that I am living with.  I now have a board that is populated with SnPb parts, the component supplier has converted the BGA to lead free.  I had the choice to
a) change my process to high temp SnPb solder at smt (and adjust oven to higher temp and assume I am still within scope of thermal limits of all components on board) to help ensure joint reliability or
b) convert the whole smt process to lead free paste and subsequently adjust ovens to even higher temp, (at this point not sure if thermal limits on all parts can withstand the potentially 20 Deg C adjustment) for this product.
I opted to go with
c) ran the BGA in my current process with no adjustments.
We have completed all functional testing with no failures, but, I have sent samples to a lab for xray and cross sectioning and comparison evaluations to determine long term reliability.
I haven't received the results back yet.
What would you have done?

Carol