LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
David Suraski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 10:56:19 -0400
Robin Ingenthron,

I'm very curious where the statement "national support (for lead-free
legislation) seems to correlate in countries with older, more
depreciated, manufacturing lines, as opposed to countries which have
newer, less depreciated lines" comes from.  Can you quantify this?  Are
you saying that there is evidence that production lines in, say, the UK
or Poland or Italy are older than those in, say, the US or Mexico or
Singapore.  This certainly is not my experience.  In my experience I've
seen old and new manufacturing lines in the dozen or so countries I've
visited.

And it is naive to consider that the lead-free issue mostly correlates
to manufacturing equipment.  Many manufacturers out there will be able
to continue using most of their current equipment even when they
implement lead-free.

Regards,

David Suraski
AIM