LEADFREE Archives

July 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:46:15 +0300
Kay

Thank you for your corrections.

Current recycling is negligible and it is far from certain that making
electronics grade solders from recovered metals will be more economical
than from virgin metals, unless current standards and practices be
changed to permit increased impurity levels. The likely scenario is that
some of the recycled metals will be used for non-electronics
applications and the rest will be unsellable, until some crisis occurs
which will cause the price of tin to rocket up and purification will
become economical.

In any case, "yet again", you demonstrate your interest. Can you swear
to me that going lead-free in the electronics industry will not create
the need for one kilogram or one tonne or even thousands of tonnes more
tin from producer countries than would otherwise be the case?

Best regards,

Brian