LEADFREE Archives

March 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Liz Harriman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:23:37 -0500
In 2002, NEMA negotiated a settlement with Mateel on behalf of a group of
wire and cable manufacturers.  The settlement covers 20 different
substances on the Prop 65 list, including several lead compounds.  If the
outer layer of a frequently handled cord contains more than 300 ppm of
lead, then it must have a Prop 65 warning label.  Labelling is not required
for any materials that are not on an outer surface where they would likely
be handled, or on infrequently handled wire and cable (e.g., refrigerator
power cord or internal equipment wires).  NEMA put out a fact sheet that is
available on Belden's web site:

http://bwcecom.belden.com/Sales/Quality/Prop65QA_NEMA.pdf

The lead is used as a heat stabilizer in PVC and elastomeric compounds (as
in the jacketing on wire and cable), but lead-free alternatives (e.g.,
Ca-Zn) are available for all applications, and are being increasingly used
by manufacturers.  We have been working with this industry for several
years in Massachusetts to make sure that they will be ready to comply with
the EU RoHS.
http://www.turi.org/content/content/view/full/548

Liz Harriman

At 01:42 AM 3/13/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi ChuckD, JoeFj, Bose-DanK, IPC LF Listservers,
>
>I just saw an asterix in an article which is the last one I posted
>under "useful links" (the asterix is in Table 1) that indicates that under
>Prop 65 lead can be in external cables yet has to be under 300ppm.
>
>My guess is that this low number (300ppm) is because of surface lead paint
>test kits made for the housing industry to protect children who eat paint
>chips and end up having problems. (Hey a kid's eating everything problem,
>and probably a future fellow rather than a feline, growing new teeth can be
>tough on a guy).  From what I remember reading on the labels of these
>things in at least an "Ace Hardware Store" these kits can detect down to
>this 300ppm region. I finally found these kits that either a Kester, or an
>Indium Listserver pointed me towards.
>
>Any knowledge of why 300ppm was chosen within Prop 65?
>  (Hopefully the Nemi persons were right on this number)
>
>Yours in Engineering, Dave
>Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave

>the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Leadfree
>To temporarily stop/(start) delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks send:
>SET Leadfree NOMAIL/(MAIL)
>Search previous postings at: http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
>Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16
>for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or
>847-615-7100 ext.2815

Liz Harriman
Deputy Director
Massachusetts Toxics Use Reduction Institute
www.turi.org
University of Massachusetts Lowell
One University Ave
Lowell, MA  01854

Phone: 978-934-3387     Fax: 978-934-3050