LEADFREE Archives

January 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Smith, Rick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:46:09 -0600
John, IPC folks,

Have they improved XRF to the point where its really that useful?

From my experience, and unless there has been a significant change in
the technology, an XRF wont tell you what is inside the part, only what
is on the outside and visible, the plating material and thickness, and
only on the spot where you point it. If there are any holes in the
plating on that spot; it will show what is in the hole, and nothing
more.

Am I wrong??

Rick Smith
Senior Materials & Process Engineer